Saturday, August 7, 2010

Restaurant Review

We have a local Irish pub that claims authentic Irish food.  Last night, dh and I met with his co-workers to have a pint and dinner.  I chose Harp's Lager, as they no longer sell Tennet's from Scotland, as it will no longer be sold in the United States. Have we offended the Scots somehow?  Dh chose a pint of Rogue, and we both concluded that it had a bit more taste, fruitier, than the Harp.

Fish and chips are the best on the menu there, and of ten people, I believe at least half ordered that.  Big, moist white fish deep fried it batter is hard to replicate at home.  I'm not so fond of the steak fries, and would prefer crispy thin ones.  I wonder what they truly eat in Ireland?

I do know that fish and chips are sold in England, as I bought some once while there many ages ago in Stratford-upon-Avon.  It was wrapped in newspaper, bought from a small place with no where to sit.   We took it outside to eat, sitting on a stone wall.

Several people ordered Scotch eggs for an appetizer, and while they look very good, the potential for all that fried food to sit on my stomach over night deterred me from trying.  I should not count on a career as a restaurant critic.

1 comment:

  1. Proper Fish and Chips is made with Cod. I'm sorry you can't get Tennet's anymore, I don't know what I would do if I walked into an Irish Pub and they told me there would be no more Guinness...

    ReplyDelete