Wednesday, August 4, 2010

It's Dog Food

Not all ground turkey is the same, and neglecting to realize this, last night's dinner was a flaming disaster.  The recipe for Greek Turkey Burgers in Saving Dinner the Low-Carb Way called for ground turkey, with no mention of fat content.   I should really know better and recognize that not all turkey is dry and low fat.

Having found Tzatziki Dip at CostMo and knowing dh would also love the tomato/cucumber/feta relish, I mixed the turkey burgers as described, adding a little olive oil, knowing as we all do, that turkey doesn't have much fat and I was going to grill the burgers.  The patties sat on the plate, smelling delicious and promising a gastronomic success.

I congratulated myself by having William and his friend visiting skewer shish kabobs sticks with zucchini, onion and ripe bell peppers, not only something to do, but giving them ownership in healthy eating.

The dinner hour drew near, I fired up the grill.  I have tried for years to avoid grilling, relegating it to my dh's province, claiming no ability there when in fact, it is just difficult to coordinate everything else and also check the grill frequently.  This day, I did have everything prepared ahead, and dh was running late from work.  I could do it.  I put the burgers and veggies on the grill.  It would take a few minutes, so I left the grill to it's own devices to water some porch plants.   Recipe for disaster.

I returned minutes later, opened the grill to find it all on fire.  Grease fire?  dh asked.  The grill wasn't on fire - the actual burgers were.  The shish kabobs now held little charcoal briquettes.  As I walked in holding the plate, dh arrived home.  Is it my fault because I'm home late, dh asked tentatively?  Definitely.  Although likely, it was the fat content, not my grilling skills or lack thereof.

We fried up some store bought hockey puck turkey burgers and made do.  I suppose if I blogged only my successful dinners, you would soon lose interest.  On the other hand perhaps you might not read a blog where the product is this:



No comments:

Post a Comment